Global 3’500 Greenhouse Gas Performance 2010 - 2015

Global 3’500 Greenhouse Gas Performance 2010 - 2015

The new report from Thomson Reuters and BSD Consulting on the greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from 3,500 of the largest publicly traded companies in the world show a 9.5% gap towards the 2-degree goal.

From 2011 to 2015 there is a substantial gap of 9.5% between the emissions from the world’s 3500 largest businesses (Global 3500) and the reductions required to stay within a 2-degree global temperature rise. In other words, the Global 3500 are emitting almost 10% more than what they should be (and 12.3% more than a 1.5-degree pathway). On a global level 10% represents an excess of approximately 5 gigatons of CO2. The gap is lower for US based businesses (over 3%) than for China (about 20%) and India-based businesses (35%).

These findings suggest that the greatest opportunities therefore exist in developing countries to innovate, regulate and to achieve what we would like to call the Great Carbon Leap, leading a new paradigm for economic prosperity and environmental sustainability that applies equally to developed countries. Non-state actors such as regional businesses and cities together with states can deliver the required decarbonisation to close the gap to get back on track to a 2-degree pathway.

The Global 3500 are responsible for about 20% of global GHG emissions. But they have considerable leverage through their value chains for a very substantial proportion of the remaining 80% of global emissions. Through global supply chains or through both upstream production processes and downstream use of products and services the Global 3500’s influence on global emissions does not stop within their immediate operational boundaries.

Please find on the left hand side the full report.

For further questions or advice on this topic please contact John Moorhead, Executive Manager BSD Consulting Switzerland.