For Coop and Migros, during the years 2010 and 2011 BSD realized an impact study on the implementation of GRASP. The study had the following objectives:
- Evaluate the situation in the farms before the implementation of GRASP, creating base line data for the future implementation.
- Analyze if the most important social aspects are covered by GRASP and check if the model has adverse effects.
- Generate information about the results of the implementation of GRASP that helps to improved continuously the module, the documents used and the training program for farms.
- Create a basis for a constructive dialogue with the stakeholders about the implementation of GRASP.
The activities of the Spanish BSD team included the following aspects:
- Development of a methodology for the impact assessment, based on the ISEAL code for social and environmental standards.
- Definition of key questions and indicators for the evaluation.
- Identification of the stakeholders.
- Interviews by telephone, online questionnaires and farm visits.
The results of the study were presented and discussed in a round table with the supermarket representatives, suppliers, and stakeholders, the session was moderated by the BSD consultants.
Afterwards, BSD developed a monitoring system for the GRASP implementation process, with the objective of measuring the process made amongst suppliers.
At present, 30 suppliers of the supermarkets participate in the system managed by BSD. The system is based on an analysis of the GLOBALG.A.P database, online questionnaires and telephone interviews. It helps to improve the transparency in the supply chain, establishing a systematic information channel between supermarkets and suppliers.
Impact Monitoring on the Social Module GRASP
January 2012 - March 2012
The GRASP (GLOBALG.A.P Risk Assessment on Social Practices) module of the standard GLOBALG.A.P is a tool to support farmers in demonstrating their compliance with international and national labor legislation. Since 2008, BSD Spain collaborates with the Swiss supermarkets Coop and Migros, fostering the implementation of GRASP in Almeria, South Spain.
- Agriculture and fishery
- Barcelona, Spain
- Fair operating practices