In recent years there has been a considerable rise in the number of ecological and social standards. Despite their ability to change conditions of production positively from a sustainability perspective, the almost unmanageable number of standards and labels of varying content and quality heavily complicate their systematic use for the different user groups.
With the support of the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO), BSD Switzerland developed the internet platform www.kompass-nachhaltigkeit.ch. The website is designed to assist Swiss buyers from small and medium enterprises (SMEs), as well as from public institutions in sustainable procurement practises.
The core of the website is a central database containing detailed information on standards and labels. It was developed in cooperation with the International Trade Center (ITC) and offers users the opportunity of searching specifically for standards, comparing them, and accessing in-depth information. In addition, the website provides important background information on sustainable procurement, instruments and methods for the implementation, and practical examples.
Since 2013 (until the end of 2015) the information platform is henceforth supported by the SECO as part of the program „Sustainability Standards Information Systems“. The following organistions are involved in the program :
- International Trade Centre (ITC): Consolidation of data on sustainability standards in one central database and information dissemination on the use of sustainability standards through producers
- Committee on Sustainability Assessment (COSA): Impact assessment of sustainability standards on producers’ level
- Sustainable Commodity Assistance Network (SCAN): Capacity building for producers in developing countries
- State of Sustainability Initiatives (SSI): Information dissemination on market developments in the context of sustainability standards
- Kompass Nachhaltigkeit: Information dissemination on the use of sustainability standards in procurement processes
Information Platform Compass Sustainability
May 2009 - Present
With the support of the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO), BSD Consulting developed the internet platform www.kompass-nachhaltigkeit.ch. The website aims to assist procurement officers with their choice of relevant ecological and social standards, and offers comprehensive information on sustainable procurement.
- Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO)
- Government and public agencies
- Zurich, Switzerland